Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 10 - Tuesday = longer day

I may be tired, but I am learning a lot and still having fun.

I started the day at 7 AM just like I do every day. We went out to the field to march and aimed to perfect the "CHS" formation.

For 2nd and 3rd period, I observed other teachers for the first time today. I asked the principal what teachers he suggested to observe. In 2nd period I observed Mr. Kinchelo's AP English class. He started with a warm-up of mixed up letters. The students had to try and for words out of the letters using the clues he had given them. Then a few students gave presentations on their character sketch of a classmate. They had to write a very wordy paper about one of their classmates. At the end of class, they went into small groups and worked on a project about books they read this last summer.

Some of the things I really liked about his class were that he used popsicle sticks to call people randomly, he gave tickets to kids who did well on the warm-up as a reward, and he asked for verification of listening after each presentation of the character sketches.

Ms. Lafollett's (pronounced La-fall-it) 3rd period Algebra Readiness class seemed like a pretty routine math class. One of the things I liked about her class were that she had each of the students keep a calendar of their assignments and record their own grades down so that they are keeping track of everything going on in class. She also gave them a "toolkit" that the students had to really build themselves. As they learn new topics in class, they add to their toolkit.

In beginning band at CJHS, I took the flutes to another room. My friend, Chris, took the Tubas out and helped them today. The flutes were, for the most part, still struggling to make a steady sound. They did improve as the class went on. There are definitely a few people that are really excelling in the flute section, and a few people who really have to work hard.

I had my Teaching Special Populations class at the university this evening. My mom has some expertise in this area, and I hope to pic her brain as I learn more in this course. This class ended at 7:20. Thank you 12 hour and 20 minute day.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be very interested in what they are teaching in special populations

    ReplyDelete