Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 3 - Friday the 13th!

Every Friday, CHS band plays out in the quad as people are going to class, just like the first day of school. I think this is pretty great, because it shows how they play in a performance setting and I believe it gets them to work a little harder each week. Having rehearsal right after the performance also helps a lot, because the problems that happened in the performance can be fixed immediately. Due to playing in the quad, there was no marching today, just rehearsal. I played clarinet with the band today.

Today was picture day at both schools. Teachers and staff got pictured too. I was included in staff. I believe it's for an ID card that I'm going to get. I'm not really sure yet.

Today in guitar, they started to play. They were learning how to tune their instrument and a little more music theory. Some of them have played guitar before, but most of them have never read music before. I think once they get over that hurdle, things will become much easier for us.

In CJHS beginning band, they gave us their three choices of instruments. We also polled them all on what they chose for their first instrument. Most people will be able to play their first choice. There were way to many trumpets. Some won't be able to play trumpet, so we can have a balanced band.

In advanced band, I helped out in the percussion section. Todd wants them to play mallets, but they don't know how to read music very well yet. I gave them an assignment to write all the note names for the first two pages of the book we're using.

I survived my first week. I'm looking forward to the weekend, but also can't wait for next week to start. I am realizing that the kids already are looking to me for questions and stuff. It makes me feel important. Things are just getting better all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment