Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 7 and 8! Very busy!

My last couple of days have been very busy for me! Let's just go over the highlights of the last couple days.

Thursday:
In beginning band, we split the group into woodwinds and brass. I know I've mentioned this before, but just so there's no confusion, we decided that there will be no percussion in beginning band so they can learn how to read music rather than skirt on by. I took the woodwinds to another room, while Todd stayed in the band room with the brass. Both groups learned how to play to notes. Now, when I say two notes, I don't mean that it was very nice sounding. It was really more of a mass general sound somewhere around the note they were trying to learn. The cool thing was that when we changed notes, you could hear the mass sound going in the right direction.

At CHS, the band formed their "CHS" on the recently lined field for the first time this year. They practiced how to get on the field into that formation and how to get into an arc from there. There is still a lot of work to go with their marching.

After school, Todd invited me to a meeting for all the performing arts teachers in the district. They were discussing what the policy will be for the new auditorium that was built at PVHS.

Friday:
Again, beginning band was very exciting! This time they played as a full band! We got them playing a "sound" as a full band. It was pretty cool.

I also wrote and administered a quiz for the guitar class on Friday. We had the kids graded each other's papers in class. I also recorded the grades in the grade book. I had to do a lot of cut and tape stuff in the copy room because it's rather difficult to put staves and music notes on the word document on the school computer. I am very proud of my quiz!

I would have written my blog yesterday, but I had work right after school at the bookstore. I was then too tired to do anything after I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment